No inscriptions. This history of the botanical gardens of Glasgow University occupies a lengthy time frame and quotes in detail information rarely found about the day-to-day management of scientifically-oriented gardens. The Physic Garden, instituted in 1704, was the first of several attempts to provide material for teaching and research, which then (as now) had to be balanced against amenity considerations. An exemplary addition to the literature of Garden History. vi, 298 pp., numerous text figures and plans. View More...
Read more here.